Frequently Asked Questions About Maritime Injuries

The laws governing injuries at sea are complicated. Here are the answers to some commonly asked questions about maritime injuries. You may also want to visit our pages on the Jones Act, the Longshore And Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act and what to do after an accident at sea.

Every situation is different, however. We encourage you to contact our New Orleans office for legal guidance tailored to your specific circumstances.

Am I eligible for workers’ compensation if I get hurt while working on the water?

In general, the workers’ compensation system that is available for most U.S. workers does not apply to seamen and others who work on the water. Instead, you are able to seek compensation through either the Jones Act or the Longshore And Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act.

What if an accident takes place in international waters?

You may still be able to receive compensation under the Jones Act if you are hurt outside of U.S. waters. A maritime lawyer can advise you about the options that apply to your specific situation.

Do I need to figure out what claim I’ll be filing before I report my injury to my boss?

No matter where you work or what your job entails, you should always report your injury to your supervisor or employer and get medical attention. Then, give us a call to discuss your next steps with a lawyer who can walk you through the nuances of the claims process. We can help you understand your rights and options for pursuing compensation.

Get The Answers You Need To Move Forward

Maritime law is complicated, and the right course of action depends on how and where your injury happened. Get guidance from one of our experienced attorneys at a free consultation. Call Frischhertz & Impastato in New Orleans at 504-264-9915 or 866-920-5611, or contact us online, to schedule your initial consultation.

Se habla español.