Maritime Law Applies To All Crew Members On A Vessel

If you work on any type of vessel, you are familiar with the strict hierarchy of crew members. But whether you’re chief mate or an ordinary seaman, you have the same rights if you get hurt while at sea.

We Represent Mates, Engineers, Deckhands, Stewards, Cooks And More

At Frischhertz & Impastato, we represent all types of injured crew members: mates, engineers, deckhands, stewards, cooks and others. If you are helping a seagoing vessel fulfill its mission, you are likely considered a seaman under the Jones Act, the part of U.S. maritime law that covers people who are hurt while working on all types of boats.

Your duties will likely affect the types of hazards you are exposed to at work — you are more likely to encounter hazardous substances if you work in the engine room; you are in greater danger of falling overboard if you work on deck. But no matter how you are hurt on board, you should report your injury right away to your employer, who is responsible to providing you a certain basic level of care (maintenance and cure) to help you recover.

Talk To An Attorney About Your Options After An Injury

Even if you think your employer is treating you well after an onboard accident, it is a good idea to talk to a lawyer about what happened. Your employer may try to minimize the severity of your injury and provide you less maintenance and cure than you truly need, or they may pressure you to return to work sooner than you are ready to. In addition, if someone else is at fault for your injury, you may be eligible for additional compensation under the Jones Act and other laws.

Call Today For A Free Consultation

We invite you to schedule a free consultation with an experienced maritime lawyer at Frischhertz & Impastato in New Orleans. Call us at 504-264-9915 or 866-920-5611, or send us an email.